The four core values of the municipality – solidarity, learning, diversity and hospitality – are strongly linked to the Greenlandic culture and identity. But culture is not made of cultural institutions alone; it includes social and sports associations, leisure life, arts and handicraft, sledge dogs, the Greenlandic language and other Greenlandic traditions carried by a strong sense of solidarity. This is a common feature of the population - even though there are naturally individual distinctive features and differences in the municipality.
The core values also imply a desire in the municipality for better integration of migrants in the municipality. Including improved availability of language learning opportunities for newcomers. This will create better value in integration for both the community as well as the community. The linguistic barrier between local and newcomers needs to be reduced by first and foremost creating a curiosity for learning, which is created through better offerings and opportunities.
In Qaasuitsup Municipality, we highly value culture and the municipality is characterised by a strong and vivid cultural and social life under constant development. This trademark is to be maintained and expanded – for our own sakes, but also because it is an important part of our basis for existence: Fishing, sealing, whaling and tourism. We also consider culture as one of the best means to invite the rest of the world inside, creating new co-operations and dialogue.
Culture has numerous faces and therefore makes demands on the physical settings – indoor as well as outdoor. To citizens, especially the setting for day-to-day town and social life is vital and should receive special attention. To tourists and other visitors, other things are more important, things like the presentation and packaging of the unique experiences of nature and culture on offer in our municipality.
- The municipal council is to continuously work to strengthen cultural activities and experiences in towns and settlements.
- The best possible physical settings for culture, including facilities and development possibilities for social associations, museums, libraries and village halls is to be ensured.
- The cultural framework is to play an important role in spatial planning and development of towns and settlements.
- Special attention is to be given to high-quality public meeting places and areas for stays where generations can meet and visitors can take a break.
- An enterprise house could also benefit from lending space to cultural offers and activities.
- The possibilities of converting empty buildings into cultural and social purposes are to be assessed.
- Co-operations between towns and settlements are to be strengthened and developed, hopefully through new co-operations.
- The creative industries economy is to be a natural part of municipal planning.
- Better offers of language classes for newcomers to the municipality.